If at first you do not succeed, strive, strive once more….
Have you ever ever written a put up that you just thought would hit the spot along with your readers, generate numerous curiosity and/or stimulate a terrific dialog after which discover it fell flat on it is face?
I’ve – in truth it occurs on a regular basis for quite a lot of causes:
- Generally your posts fall over as a result of different tales break within the blogosphere and hog all the eye
- Maybe you simply had some unhealthy luck and the precise influential blogger did not occur to see your put up (and unfold the phrase)
- At different instances its since you posted on the unsuitable day of the week
- Or maybe you wrote the put up within the early days of your weblog earlier than you actually had any readers to learn it
- Alternatively it may be merely that your put up was not adequate
Many of those unsuccessful posts slide off the entrance web page of a weblog by no means to be seen or thought of once more (by your readers or by you) – nonetheless, maybe in time, they deserve a second likelihood. In spite of everything, you’ve got put work into researching and writing them and with a second likelihood within the highlight they might really attain their potential and turn out to be extra fruitful and rewarding to you as a blogger.
Over the previous few weeks I’ve experimented on various events with giving previous posts that I felt hadn’t lived as much as their potential a second likelihood. I’ve achieved this in a couple of alternative ways with various levels of success however needed to share the strategy that was most profitable for me (in addition to a couple of others on the finish of this put up).
Essentially the most profitable of my experiments with giving previous posts a second likelihood have been reposting them on the entrance web page of a weblog with updates.
I did this a couple of days again with a put up on DPS on Sluggish Sync Flash, The earlier model of the put up had been posted again in January when my readership was significantly smaller than it presently is (ie most of my present readers would not have seen it earlier than) and whereas it had been reasonably profitable by way of derived feedback. was by no means utterly happy with the put up (by way of what I might written and/or the visitors it acquired).
So I up to date the put up with a couple of tweaks that made it extra helpful, engaging and related and reposted it on the prime of my weblog (just by altering the posting date in WordPress). I additionally included a be aware that it was an up to date put up on the finish of the put up.
IMPORTANT NOTE – I’m able to do that at DPS as a result of I’ve a permalink construction that doesn’t embody dates (ie it’s simply the BlogName/PostName not BlogName/Date/PostName as it’s right here at ProBlogger. if in case you have dates in your permalink construction you should not use this methodology as you may find yourself with a brand new URL for the put up which might imply you lose any search engine marketing rating your earlier model of the put up had.
The outcomes of this up to date repost have been important with a entrance web page look on Digg, giant StumbleUpon visitors, being featured on the entrance web page of Scrumptious and hyperlink ups from many blogs together with a couple of authoritative ones.
The benefit of this methodology is that the put up not solely will get a second likelihood within the highlight – however as a result of it is a longtime put up with some Search Engine Rating – the mix of the content material being up to date and new feedback being added (Search Engines like contemporary content material) , the looks in your entrance web page and the additional hyperlinks that the put up may generate implies that the put up will construct it is search engine marketing authority.
The hazard of this strategy is that in the event you do it too typically with posts that the majority of your readers can have seen earlier than you run the chance of them turning into disillusioned with you. I haven’t got an issue with updating previous posts to make them extra related and helpful – however a few of your readers may get a bit sick of studying the identical previous stuff in the event you do it too typically.
This strategy works greatest on evergreen or timeless posts – notably ‘the best way to’ or ‘suggestions’ posts.
Different methods of updating content material and giving it a second likelihood
The reposted replace is one thing that has labored very properly for me on various events. Nonetheless there are different methods to provide an older put up a second likelihood together with:
- Full Rewrite as a brand new put up – on this strategy you merely take the ideas out of your earlier put up and rewrite it from scratch as a brand new put up on the weblog. You may make the identical posts, replace a few of your ideas, add new factors and so on however find yourself with two posts on the identical matter. I’ve used this strategy with some success additionally. I’d usually hyperlink again to the earlier model so readers can see the development of my concepts.
- Replace Posts and Hyperlink to them – One other strategy is to replace an older put up after which write a brand new put up saying the replace with a hyperlink to it. This does not are likely to work fairly as properly for some cause – maybe as a result of the previous put up nonetheless has your previous date on it and will be seen as ‘dated’ by many (it is wonderful how individuals write off previous materials as being not present or previous for simply being written a couple of months again).
- Archive Compilations – posts that look again at a yr passed by and that hyperlink to previous posts can be one other method of driving individuals again into your archives for a re-examination. I have a tendency to do that on particular events (weblog anniversariesthe finish of the yr and so on.). It’s a light method of reminding new readers that there’s extra to your weblog than what they may have seen.
- Distinguished Hyperlinks to Key Posts – linking to previous key posts in aspect bars, headers, posts and even as ‘associated posts’ beneath your posts will be methods of giving previous posts a second breath of life. That is on no account as radical as reposting an previous put up – however over time this could drive important visitors again to an older underperforming put up.
- Selling Previous Posts to Different Websites – that is one thing I’ve had some success with additionally – however fairly unintentionally. A month again I seen a spike within the visitors coming to DPS from Digg. I instantly thought that one among my most up-to-date posts was the one bringing within the visitors – nonetheless once I checked out the place the visitors was heading I noticed it was to a put up that was 9 months previous. Certainly one of my readers had stumbled throughout it and had thought it digg worthy. Others had jumped on board and as a stroke of luck and with no work on my half I had a success on my fingers because it went to the entrance web page. It struck me at this level that maybe my archives held different previous posts that had not been promoted to different bigger websites. Consequently I submitted a few older posts to a few giant blogs and to my amazement they have been picked up and linked to. I ought to be aware that one of many most important causes that I think this works on DPS is that I do not time stamp my posts. I’ve written extra on this follow beforehand (it is one thing that can once more go well with evergreen timeless content material greater than blogs which might be newsy and whose posts want the context of a date to be helpful to readers).
So do you replace posts? In that case how do you do it and have you ever had any success with doing so?
This put up itself is an replace from the unique article printed Might 11, 2007 and up to date Might 5, 2022.